27 January 2008

Vanessa Hudgens Talks About Being Filipino


it's so rare nowadays to find Filipino Americans in the Entertainment industry. and those who actually make it.. don't usually acknowledge their nationality. It's so good to see young Filipino-American artists on the rise. Here's an excerpt from an interview Vanessa had with the popular Filipino newspaper, the Inquirer:

Can you share your thoughts about your Filipino heritage?
I am so proud of my heritage. I love being a Filipina. There aren’t very many Filipino girls in the industry. So being able to stand up and be that girl makes me proud. My mother is so proud. She grew up in Manila. I don’t even think she knows it’s doing that well over there. I’d love to make it over there sometime. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to visit.

Do you speak Tagalog?
Oh, not really. My mom tried to teach me when I was younger. I am not that great at languages. I really want to learn, though.

When do you think you will visit the Philippines?
I think whenever I have a good second to do nothing and just go where I want. I have been talking about it forever and it never materializes. Hopefully, soon. I can’t wait to see the Philippines.

What did your mom tell you about the Philippines? And in what ways are you Filipino?
She told me several stories about where she used to live. She has 11 brothers and sisters so she had a big family. I love Filipino food. I love halo-halo, pancit and adobo. I am such a Filipino—I eat rice every day (laughter).

Barrel Man loves the Hudge!!

read the rest of the article after the jump: http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view_article.php?article_id=81617

No comments:

About
Started in 1993, D1 is a collegiate organization dedicated to promoting awareness of issues pertaining to Filipinos nationwide, preserving and promoting Filipino Culture, and providing the means for initiating action and dialogue within the community.

D1 consists of Filipino culture clubs from the following member schools: Berklee College of Music, Boston College, Boston University, Brown University, Clarke University, Harvard University, MIT, Northeastern University, Tufts University, University of Massachusetts Boston, and Wellesley College.

Mission Statement
District One (D1) E-Board serves as a resource for its member schools and community by promoting awareness and discussion of Filipino culture to strengthen unity in the New England region.